My photo
-an independent landscape designer with over 2,700 projects since 1981, giving me tremendous insight and expertise that allow me to solve design problems quickly. Services and styles are tailored to the specific needs of the client; ranging from scale drawn master plans with hardscapes and plantings to on-site consultations utilizing spray paint and flags for instant visualization. My specialties and services offered include residential and commercial, both large and small.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

THE YEAR OF THE RABBIT

Life was simpler before I met this rabbit in 1975. My income was as small as my accumulation of possessions. This bunny was the beginning of my downfall. He was the first tchotchke I ever bought AND I paid full retail!


Liz Anson was living with Bill and me in our first home on Whitethorn in Cleveland Heights.  Liz and I went to the Higbee's at the new Randall Park Mall. (Hard to believe that 35  years later this shopping center is a ghost town where I wouldn't feel safe getting out of the car and Higbee's is now Dillards.) I agonized over spending the $10. It's been down hill ever since.
 "White Rabbit" by the Jefferson Airplane  came out in 1967 but still reminds me of the music we were listening to in the 1970's. Two weeks ago Bill and I went to a benefit at the Western Reserve Historical Society. It was titled Somewhere in Time: 70's Fever. The honorary chair was Hank LoConti, owner of the Agora. I focused on 70's/Agora and not on Fever and was surprised to find the theme was disco. We were with good friends and had a great time regardless. As soon as I got home I googled the music of the 1970's. I was relieved to discover that I had not fried my brain. I feel sure the party was planned by thirty year olds.


I still adore my white rabbit, but the Year of the Rabbit is going to find me selling, not buying, more stuff!

What were you listening to in the 1970'?

No comments:

Post a Comment