My photo
-an independent landscape designer with over 2,700 projects since 1981, giving me tremendous insight and expertise that allow me to solve design problems quickly. Services and styles are tailored to the specific needs of the client; ranging from scale drawn master plans with hardscapes and plantings to on-site consultations utilizing spray paint and flags for instant visualization. My specialties and services offered include residential and commercial, both large and small.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

GOOD CHI AND THE GROUNDHOG


I've been sharing our good chi with a groundhog. 

Our feng shui water feature is placed directly due east of the front door to  attract auspicious chi, abundance and good fortune.The fountain bubbles away 365 days a year  allowing positive chi to freely enter our home. Late one night, this fall, I heard  the sloshing and clanging of the groundhog pushing the papyrus aside and  bathing in the beneficial yang energy of our little pond.
Later that week I was standing on the front porch and watched him waddle down the neighbor's front walk and meander into our front beds.
Upon googling groundhogs, I learned their holes are HUGE!
I am a lazy gardener. I do not mulch and I do not like to pull weeds. My beds are covered with plentiful perennials surrounding the trees and shrubs. By July, I don't see soil any more.  Prior to seeing our neighborhood groundhog I was confident wading through the hostas. Now I have visions of holes that would swallow my size 10 feet.

Bill assures me that he has seen Mr. Groundhog emerge from a hole next to the neighbor's front porch.  I think any self respecting marmot would want to live the high life in lushly planted raised beds with a private swimming pool.
Can I find harmony with nature while worrying about my ankles?

Will the groundhog at least bring us an early spring?
stay tuned.......

No comments:

Post a Comment