My photo
-an independent landscape designer with over 2,700 projects since 1981, giving me tremendous insight and expertise that allow me to solve design problems quickly. Services and styles are tailored to the specific needs of the client; ranging from scale drawn master plans with hardscapes and plantings to on-site consultations utilizing spray paint and flags for instant visualization. My specialties and services offered include residential and commercial, both large and small.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Grandpa's Love Letter

Floyd Leslie Thompson is my grandfather. I was named for him. I'm glad I was a girl, as Floyd is  a rather flat name. Grandpa signed all his paintings  F. Leslie Thompson so it is safe to assume he didn't think Floyd was the sexiest name either.
Grandpa wrote Grandma a love letter in 1911 before they were married. He was a young man working in Cleveland and though they were both from Chicago, Grandma was in New Mexico.

I had it framed by The Wood Trader in a two-sided frame so that the entire card can be enjoyed.

I'm 57 years old and I still snicker like 5 year old whenever I see the name Fannie! Grandma was actually quite the proper WASP.

I keep a jar of Noxzema just so I can open it and smell her. 
I love the comment that Cleveland "is quite boisterous in public. Things are allowed here that would not be tolerated in Chicago."

Chicago must have worked pretty hard to change its' reputation by the 1920s!















Imagine a time before men were glued to the Sports Channels.............

















                
"Talk about lonesome and getting fits.  Why you ought to see me Sunday nights. I just go wild and tear my hair for want of your company."
Well Dearies, this is the only love letter I possess.  If the house is burning I'd grab it right after yelling to Bill to turn off the TV.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That is so cool that you have this Leslie. And I love how you had it framed. It most certainly was a different time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Ann Wester NearyJanuary 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

    Leslie ... This is just beautiful.

    Until very recently, I had one of YOUR one page letters to me. We were maybe ??? 15 when you moved to Cleveland?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very sweet! I was just researching your grandfather this morning as we just purchased one of his etching/aquatints with a complete set of the four color proofs last month, it's a beautiful addition to our print collection, and finding this lovely letter online was a lovely bit of insight that not too many people get to see of the young artist's life and it is wonderful that you have preserved it so beautifully and have shared it for others to enjoy!

    Laura J. Wellner, Registrar of the Syracuse University Art Collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen Kuehl AdairMay 24, 2016 at 3:32 PM

    Leslie, I have your grandfather's etching "Moonlight" it was passed down from my grandmother. ll I have ever known about it was that he was a friend of her's. She often talked about a dear friend Fannie (like you I of course remembered her name because I snickered too. Sorry we are about the same age) Now I wonder if that is the connection. Do you remember ever hearing her talk about a friend Cora Kuehl (sounds like Keel) who was a prominent soloist, pianist in Chicago?

    ReplyDelete